Weather Delays/Closures & Remote Learning
When winter weather arrives, the Karns City Area School District knows that families have questions. In an effort to keep you as informed as possible, please take time to carefully read the District's winter-weather procedures, particularly the sections regarding Remote Learning.
Please know that the District makes decisions regarding closures and delays with input from surrounding school districts, township and borough officials, administration, and Shriver Transportation Inc. As a parent, you reserve the right to keep your child at home if you feel road and/or weather conditions are unsafe. Please contact your child's office regarding attendance if you choose to keep your child home when you believe road and/or weather conditions are unsafe.
Two-Hour Delay: In the event of a two-hour delay, the following will take place: Families will be notified of a delay via a SwiftK12 phone alert and a website alert; additionally, local news and radio stations will broadcast the message. High School will start at 9:26 AM. Elementary will start at 10:50 AM.
In the event that conditions worsen unexpectedly and the District closes school for in-person learning after a delay is called, the following will take place: Students will attend school remotely following their respective two-hour delay schedules; students will attend school remotely via synchronous learning (i.e., they will join their classes live via Google Meets, according to their two-hour delay schedules listed below. Google Meets can be accessed via teachers' Google Classrooms.). Click Here to Access the High School's Two-Hour Delay Schedule
Full-Day Closure for In-Person Learning: In the event that conditions require a full-day closure for in-person instruction, the District will operate remotely. Families will be notified of the closure via a SwiftK12 phone alert and a website alert; additionally, local news and radio stations will broadcast the message. In most situations, all extracurricular activities will be cancelled when school is closed for in-person learning, unless the administration deems conditions safe. In this case, families will be notified via a SwiftK12 phone alert. Students will attend school remotely via synchronous learning (i.e., they will join their classes live via Google Meets, according to their schedules. Google Meets can be accessed via teachers' Google Classrooms. Click Here to access the high school's full-day remote schedule
Co-Op and Blended Schedule Student Remote Attendance Form:
If school is closed due to weather, and students are learning remotely, Co-Op students should submit their attendance by clicking the following link by the time they normally would if school were operating in-person: Click Here
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How are parents, guardians, and community members informed of delays and closings? Delay and closing information will be communicated via the District's website, a SwiftK12 alert call, and local news and radio stations.
2. How soon after a decision to close or delay will the District inform parents and guardians? The District notifies constituents via SwiftK12 alerts and website alerts as soon as a decision is made. Please note that the District makes every effort to avoid calling between the hours of 11 PM and 5:00 AM when possible. Depending on call volume, the SwiftK12 alert system make take several minutes to contact all parents and guardians. You are encouraged to visit the District's website for alerts and notifications.
3. If the District closes for in-person learning and operates remotely, where can I find the high school and elementary schools' remote learning schedules? See the information posted above regarding remote learning schedules.
4. Will every school closure due to inclement weather be considered a "Remote Learning Day" Yes, unless the District announces otherwise.
5. Who do I contact if I do not receive the SwiftK12 phone alerts and emails? The District contacts constituents based on the contact information in the Student Information System. However, if you are not receiving alerts and would like to, please email the Technology Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Technology Department at 724-756-2030, ext. 1900.
6. What if the District does not close when the weather is poor, and I prefer to keep my child at home out of precaution? Parents and guardians reserve the right to keep their children at home when they believe the weather and/or road conditions are unsafe. In this instance, parents should call their child's school office and inform the secretary of this absence. When the student returns to school, they should submit an excuse that details the reason for the absence. An absence of this nature will be considered "Excused"/"Legal." Please know that remote learning is not an option if you choose to keep your child at home due to inclement weather. They will have one day for each day of absence to make up their work.