Dear KCASD Families:
On behalf of the Food Service Department of Karns City Area School District, I would like to welcome your child/children to the 2020-2021 school year. To help you prepare your child for the school year I would like to review some of our procedures.
Please keep in mind, during the pandemic, the cafeteria takes the students health as a priority. Being so, due to regulations from local, state, and federal health agencies procedures may be subject to sudden change.
We strive to provide a fun, tasty, and safe school year!
- The cafeteria uses a computerized POS (Point Of Sale) system. All students are assigned a Personalized Identification Number (PIN) from the district. This PIN is used to identify your child, and purchase any products from the cafeteria. Younger students (Kindergarten) will be supplied a student ID card, with a scannable barcode in order to streamline this process.
- Breakfast is free to all students in the district.
- Lunches cost $2.45/day for K-6 (Chicora, and Sugarcreek), and $2.65/day for 7-12 (KC JR – SR High). Reduced lunches, if approved, are $.40/day.
- You are encouraged to use www.schoolcafe.com to make payments as well as apply for Free and/or Reduced Lunch Benefits. This website enables you to see your child's purchase history, add funds to his/her account, as well as send alerts to your email when funds are getting low. The service is free, with the exception of a small fee that is incurred when money is deposited via the website.
- Cashiers will accept checks and cashiers checks at either breakfast or lunch to be deposited into the child's account by the next business day. Either form of payment will need to have the students PIN in the memo section in order to deposit the funds in the proper account.
- Parents are encouraged to complete the Free and Reduced Lunch Application online using www.schoolcafe.com by October 30th (paper applications will be distributed upon request).
- Monthly breakfast/lunch menus are available for viewing on the district's website, www.kcasdk12.org, as well as the KCASD app. Paper copies of the menu will be available in the cafeteria.
- To receive the school lunch price, and avoid being charged per item, a lunch must include at least 3 of the following (1 MUST be a fruit or vegetable).
- Meat or Meat Alternate
- Students with special dietary needs that require a meal substitution, including milk, must have a special dietary needs form filled out by their physician. The forms are available with your school’s nurse.
If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
(724)-756-2030 Ext. 1015