Letter to the Community - January 2022
Dear KCASD Community,
As you are likely aware, on Dec. 27, the CDC announced shortened isolation and quarantine periods for COVID-19. Below are the updated CDC guidelines that we will follow:
- Individuals with a confirmed case of COVID-19 should isolate for 5 days. If after 5 days, you have no symptoms or the symptoms are resolving (without fever for 24 hours), you may return to school and should wear a mask for an additional 5 days when around others. Please contact the school nurse to confirm a return date to school before coming back to in-person instruction.
- If anyone in the home tests positive, they must isolate themselves from others as much as possible. The person should remain in a specific room away from others in the home, wear a mask around others, use a separate bathroom if possible and do not eat or drink near anyone else in the home. If this can be done, it will help shorten quarantine times in the home allowing students back to the classroom sooner and safely.
- For individuals who are exposed to COVID -19 and are unvaccinated - or are more than six months out from their second mRNA dose (or more than 2 months after the J&J vaccine) and not yet boosted - CDC now recommends individuals quarantine for 5 days followed by strict mask use for an additional 5 days.
- Individuals who are exposed to COVID-19 and have received their booster shot - or are within six months of receiving their primary vaccine series (or less than 2 months after the J&J vaccine) - do not need to quarantine following an exposure, but should wear a mask for 10 days after the exposure.
- For all those exposed to COVID-19, best practice would include getting a test for SARS-CoV-2 at day 5 after exposure. If symptoms occur for an exposed person, individuals should immediately quarantine until a negative test confirms symptoms are not attributable to COVID-19.
Knowing the above, please keep in mind the following when assessing an individual’s health and wellness before coming to school:
- If a student or staff member is sick, regardless of any known COVID-19 exposure, please stay at home.
- If a student or staff member is awaiting a COVID-19 test result, please stay at home.
- If a student or staff member has received a negative rapid test, but the PCR was also taken, please stay at home until the PCR result is back.
- If you are questioning whether to come to school, please stay at home until you speak to the school nurse.
Lastly, although wearing a face mask is optional inside school buildings, all students and staff are required to continue to wear masks on school transportation per a federal order.
We thank you once again for your understanding and cooperation.
• PADOH Early Warning Dashboard - COVID-19 Early Warning Monitoring System Dashboard (pa.gov)
• 2021-PAHAN615-12-30-UPD-Iso and Quar_GenPop1.pdf
• CDC COVID Data Tracker by State & County - CDC COVID Data Tracker
Eric Ritzert, Ed.D.
Karns City Area School District